Tel: 0115 953 9323
Fax: 0115 953 9321
The building for Big Wood School, Business and Enterprise College has a role as a community hub, with the buildings developed as an integrated learning community and merging with the surrounding landscape. The separate pavilions gathered around a learning courtyard with a separate enterprise centre, creates a diverse suite of learning spaces, giving an excellent provision for both the students and the wider community via a thoughtfully integrated design approach.
The provision of the new school at Big Wood was an engaging and inviting project, combining a superb site on the edge of the beautiful Bestwood Country Park, an elevated location with views over the city, an extremely aspirational brief for transformational educational learning environments, and an evidently happy and successful school culture, all within the wider cultural context of an urban community.
The school complex is composed mainly by five elements:
• The English and expressive Arts Block sits together with the following three buildings on a much higher floor plate. It forms the West edge of the central courtyard. At two stories it hosts part of the English learning cluster, arts and textiles classrooms together with the drama studio at ground level, the remaining part of the English learning cluster and Music classrooms at first floor.
• The Science and Humanities Block forms the Northern edge of the central courtyard. It is two storeys high and it hosts the Science learning cluster at ground floor and the Humanities cluster on the first floor.
• The Mathematics and Design Technology Block forms the East edge of the central courtyard. It hosts the Mathematics and Design Technology learning clusters both distributed on both floors.
• The School Core is located west of the Enterprise centre in a more central position but still on the same floor plate. It forms the South edge of the central courtyard. It is two floors high and hosts the main reception area, administration offices and the performing hall at ground floor, support and staff relaxation areas at first floor.
• The Enterprise centre is located in the southern and lowest part of the site, close to the main access from Bewcastle Road. In its linear composition it groups three different parts: the sports hall, the construction centre and the vocational area. The first two are double height, the latter is single height.
To view a short film created by pupils at Big Wood to celebrate
their new school, please click this link:
Click here for an interactive presentation of Big Wood, including maps, design brief and the visioning process