Forest Recreation Ground
Tel: 0115 915 2733
Web: please click here
The proposed works at Forest Recreation Ground have been
undertaken with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund's Parks for
People programme. The park has seen improvements to the existing
Pavilion, the Lodge located at Mansfield Road, upgrades and
improvements to the path networks, and the restoration of heritage
aspects of the park.
A package of early works was undertaken and completed in October 2011 with the aim of improving the memorial footpath and cemetery footpath, as well as improving drainage to both these paths and the main promenade running through the centre of the park.
The next stage of works to Forest Recreation Ground is set to include:
• Upgrading of facilities within the existing Pavilion to provide an improved café, public toilets, a changing places facility, function room, ranger office and sports changing areas.
• Restoration of the Grade II listed lodge to provide a mess space for parks staff and a meeting facility for community groups.
• Restoration of entrances and railings, some of which are Grade II listed.
• The introduction of a community garden.
• Improvements to the Promenade, including its lighting.
• Production of a 10 year management and maintenance plan for
the park to ensure there is a plan of action to upgrade remaining
footpaths throughout the park.
As well as the physical improvements to the park an important aspect of this development is the inclusion and involvement of the community. An audience development plan and volunteer plan have been developed in consultation with local community groups to ensure interested parties are given the opportunity not only to comment on designs and works to the part but also to become involved in activities at Forest Recreation Ground now and in the future. A training plan has been developed to ensure that local young adults and the unemployed are given the opportunity to gain new skills from the construction, heritage and horticultural works to be undertaken at the park.